A SOUND APPROACH TO IMMIGRATION
America is a nation of immigrants who collectively have made the United States an exceptional country. However, in the 21st century we find ourselves with a broken immigration system that is not responsive to the realities of our present day era. We need a responsible immigration system that abides by the rule of law and not anarchy and disorder. The following steps should immediately be undertaken with a bipartisan approach to solve our immigration issues:
– Establish better control over our nation’s borders and prevent visa overstays as a first step in comprehensive immigration reform.
– Curb the illegal employment by updating the federal verification system.
– Enact legislation that will provide certainty to DACA children, so that they can remain in the United States without at the same time granting amnesty to the eleven million estimated people who are not here legally.
– Revisit chain immigration practices and reform a dated visa lottery system.
– End sanctuary cities.
– Prioritize skills-based immigration to support our technology, science, engineering, and health care industries.
America deserves a working immigration system that puts the priorities of U.S. citizens and legal immigrants first.